Thursday, October 21, 2010

DNSN: Day 3 & 4

Ahhhh, yes. Our table. Filled with all the essentials for an eating area. K's leftover dessert (white choc chips, sprinkles and the last teaspoon of ice cream -- you can see the choc chips bag, the sprinkle container and the top of the now empty ice cream container were left out too). The book M read tonight for homework. The rest of his homework due tomorrow and both K's and M's school papers from the week. K's lunch pail, the pencil sharpener and a few other bits that make this just a lovely place to eat. OH -- WAIT A MINUTE! HOLY COW! It took taking a picture to notice, but one of the kid's managed to get K's cereal bowl and the cereal box off the table. Cereal made it into the proper spot -- bowl is in the dish train by the sink. But, hey, both items sat on the table ALL day -- and for some reason one of them decided to take care of it.
 The 'dish train'. A few of the kids' dishes have made it into the dishwasher. A very few.

Ugh. One of the many pillows leftover from Monday morning's game. Still in the kitchen. The others aren't quite back where they belong yet either.

In fairness, the kids complained about not being able to put their backpacks in the mudroom -- we are having painting done. Great timing, eh? You can see I've also given up -- paint samples, swatches, etc out number the kids junk in this photo. Just keeping myself honest here.

A picture is worth a thousand words --> DNSN chaos + unexpected painting chaos = yuck.

As if we didn't have enough chaos going on this week, at the last minute (i.e., yesterday) our painter asked if he could come in early -- meaning today. I was happy to have the job done sooner -- but hadn't yet finalized the paint color and other logistics -- so we are adding all sorts of challenges to our DNSN week -- just trying to keep this experiment as real as possible. I'd like to say that this chaos led / contributed to a bit of a breakdown today -- a small bit of yelling. K for her hen pecking me in the middle of painter noise/chaos while M was struggling/crying over his homework. In fairness to myself, I had asked her to give me a few minutes with M -- but she was outta her head excited about her 1st ever dance class today -- she really just wanted to share / chatter happily with me. Then it all got to us  again later as we couldn't avoid reminding the kids NOT to touch the wet paint -- which is honestly hard for me to remember too. But, by the 3rd time it was a pretty stern reminder -- boy, do I hate the feeling when either of us cross the line -- when I know, when I can see the price the kids are paying. Need to find a strategy in those stressful life situations -- no, it isn't life or death situation -- but what to do / say  to the kids when the consequence of their actions is going to create extra work or pain for others, besides us -- or what the hell, why not when it creates more work for us too? There has to be something better than what we are doing. Have to think on that.

Kids did great w/the morning routine both days - up and out to the bus early. M came home and started on his homework both days -- but today he had a lot of it and he really wanted to play w/a friend. T was headed home early to be w/M while I took K to dance class. Between that and homework M realized he wasn't going to have the time for a playdate and then the tears came. The painter's noise didn't help the whole situation -- and M actually asked them to please be quiet he was trying to do his homework. I was proud of him again for looking out for himself -- and standing up to stranger-adults! Need to tell him that I noticed and appreciated that he was looking out for himself. Funny how many appreciations I can think despite the fact that the week feels so crazy.

I'm feeling guilty -- I leave tomorrow for a weekend trip to Chicago w/my cousins-in-law and sisters-in-law. T will have to get through the last 2.5 days without me. I'm looking forward to reflecting together on what we've all learned. I'm curious to see if the mess will get to the kids by Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment